As a homesteader, I am no different than anyone else in the human world, whereas every year I go through and make a New Year’s resolution to do this or to do that to better my life and my situation.
Well for 2015 it is no different, sure I can say the same old stuff like getting in better shape, to live healthier and to be happier and those things certainly would apply to me.
However this year along with the normal resolutions that I have stated I will be doing something a bit different… Actually setting up homestead goals for myself for the short, medium and long term.
So let’s get going on this shall we? Now I will not focus on the personal as we all always say the same things.
Short Term – 1 to 3 months:
- Orchard – Alright the trees are late coming in from my supplier. They were due in last month but for whatever the reason they are supposed to be shipped this month. So short term goal #1 is to get all 12 trees planted with the appropriate 3’ watering pipes for each one.
- Chicken House – Everything is all set with this one, I just have to finish off the interior wall, build the roosts and nesting boxes and move the girls from the tractor to the house.
- Garden – So last year we had a successful garden with only 3 beds, this year I want to expand the number of raised bed to 6, plus I want to grow several rows of corn that will not be in raised beds.
Medium Term – 3 to 6 months:
- Bees – I have desperately wanted to get some hives going here on the homestead to start my honey supply, plus to be able to have the wonderful benefits of pollination that they bring. This is the year I will get them.
Long Term – 6 to 12 months:
- Pasture Cleared – Part of the south pasture where most of the animals are is still in need of clearing of underbrush and sowed with good pasture grass for the animals to eat.
- North Pasture Fenced – This one is a long shot for getting done this year but I would love to be able to get the north pasture fenced in and be able to get some pigs to clear it out!
One thing that I will try and do more of this year is to be able to write more articles, and do more videos for you all. However, I am not going to be able to write articles on a day to day basis like a lot of other sites are able to because I do work a full time job, work on my homestead and have a family to tend to. So please keep that in mind but I will do what I can as often as I can. Besides I love being able to bring you into our home and show you bits and pieces of my lifestyle.
So I love hearing from you, what are your New Year’s resolutions and what videos or articles would you like to see in 2015?
Until next time,