Ahh butter…. the staple in majority of households, who doesn’t love toasting some bread to a nice golden brown, reaching into the refrigerator and getting out the store bought butter; grabbing the butter knife and sitting down and coating those beautiful pieces of toast with some very tasty…. SPREAD!
Hold up! I said it correctly… SPREAD. The problem is that most of what you buy from grocery store is not real butter… they call it butter but it is actually spread made up of soybean oil, palm kernel and palm oil, salt, soy, vinegar, natural flavors.. and man-made vitamins.
Folks this is NOT butter, and if you have never had real butter than you have no idea what you are missing… so let’s get busy and make some!
- 3 Cups of Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Tablespoons of Ice Water
- Pour the heavy cream into your food processor, electric whisker or mixer.
- Whip the cream for approximately 4 mins. After approximately 2 minutes in to the 4 minutes you will see the mixture whip over and start to thicken, continue to whip.
- Once it has separated, pour in the ice cold water. This will help facilitate the separation, mix for another minute.
- Place a cheesecloth or sieve over a bowl and pour in your mixture. The liquid you see is buttermilk and is great to cook with... save if you prefer.
- Squeeze or press the butter to remove ALL of the buttermilk. If you leave the butter milk in it, it will make you butter wet.
- Mix in your salt. (Now is the perfect time to mix in any flavors you desire. Adding fresh garlic to the butter is great on steaks).
- Press into a butter dish or your favorite container.
- Store in fridge and enjoy the taste of REAL butter.
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe, I would love to hear how your butter turned out.
Until Next Time